On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 09:26:08AM +0100, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Another German, and I agree, too, with every point Peter makes. As an
> addition: I would vote for keeping "` and "'. I know that
> \quotation{ } is better and have been using it for a while now, but I
> also know that many older documents still have the old quotes, and
> when I began using TeX, they were considered standard. I think it's
> better to gently convince users to switch to the better style, not
> force them by breaking their documents.

Hello,

In general, I vote against keeping such features just for some old
documents, because:
- recompiling an old document with a recent ConTeXt-version, will give you
  problems in almost every case anyway, since ConTeXt is evolving
  constantly, old bug get fixed, new bugs come, workarounds have to be
  adapted
- it's easy to translate old documents with tools like sed
- it's easy to burn a CD-ROM with an old distribution to recompile old
  documents
- it's easy to keep the pdf somewhere (that's what I do)

Just to give you an example: my brother's thesis compiles fine with version
2007.01.12, but when I try it today, it stops with

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \def
\dohandlemathpunctuation #1#2->\def
                                    \next {\csname \ifx \space \nexttoken #2...
<argument> \??fs chemic,
                        bib,typearea,chromato
\ifundefined #1->\unless \ifcsname #1
                                     \endcsname
\truefilename #1->\ifundefined {\??fs #1}
                                         #1\else \truefilename {\csname \??f...
<to be read again> ...hemic,bib,typearea,chromato}
                                                  .}
l.55

Cheers, Peter

--