I've switched to the rsync-ed minimals on Linux. There are still some
problems with fonts:

1) Bold is still missing from fonts pulled via OSFONTDIR, e.g.:

verdana                           Verdana
/usr/share/fonts/vista/Verdana.ttf
verdana bold italic               Verdana Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/vista/Verdanaz.ttf
verdana italic                    Verdana Italic
/usr/share/fonts/vista/Verdanai.ttf

2) OSFONTDIR is not recursive. To get the above I used "export
OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/vista/", just
"export OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/" doesn't work.