Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> Before I get anymore strawman arguments, here's the definitive experiment:
>
> $ ls -U1 /usr/share/fonts/vista/ | grep erda
> Verdanai.ttf
> Verdana.ttf
> Verdanaz.ttf
> Verdanab.ttf
>
> $ ls -U1 /xp/wtf/
> Verdana.ttf
> Verdanab.ttf
> Verdanai.ttf
> Verdanaz.ttf

did you test the latest beta (this afternoon version?)

> XeTeX solves this problem by using *only* the ID 16 and ID 17 OpenType
> values to create a unique name for system fonts. I actually filed a
> bug about lack of support for the common ID 1/2 names, but Johnathan
> WONTFIXED it because he really wants the font names to be unambiguous,
> and using ID 1 and ID 2 values in addition to ID 16/17 doesn't
> guarantee that. Your situation is worse, because you want to support
> all sort of legacy fonts in that single hashtable.

part of the problem was that the mtx-font lookup (shown by list)
differed from the one used in practice (in tex); this is now harmonized
(and seems to be ok on taco's and my machine)

> Anyway, I've wasted enough of my time on this matter. If you sill
> don't grok it, forget about it.

you don't want to know how much time we spent on fonts so far -)

> BTW, the Lua 5.1 "reference" manual is a joke. How do you printf a
> boolean? What's the syntax for their definitely non-standard regexps.

they are not regexps but just expressions; being a lightweight language
lua does not have regexp (as the manual states: it would add more code
than lua itself; however, there is lpeg (also in luatex) which is not
only more poweeful than regexp but also is efficient wrt the implementation