http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-2.htm

> Or even better, how do I update a local ConTeXt install in $HOME/texmf

You don't really need to update locally. Update globally.

There is some update mechanism, but takes time to explain (read as: we
didn't take time to make it more user friendly yet), esp. on windows.

You could download
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip
unzip it and then run
   first-setup.bat --context=beta --texroot=path-to-your-context
where path-to-your-context must be the parent of texmf-xxx. You might
experience strange problems with uppercase letters and spaces in
folder names though. You need to use unix-like folder names (with
slashes, not backslashes).

Mojca