Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:37:26 -0400 schrieb Eythan Weg:

   luatools --show-path tex
luatools --show-path lua

This is only for the lua path (with line breaks introduced)

Why don't you trust Hans? He had probably a reason why he asked for
the output of the path for "tex".
(In my case font-syn.lua was searched along the *tex*-path, and I
found the error in my texmf.cnf by inspecting the output of
kpsewhich --show-path=tex. I used kpsewhich because I'm more used to
it and because it is independant from context, so problems there
can't be the fault of the lua code).

for plain users ... it is now possible to say

mtxrun --usekpse --script fonts --names

to make the names database for plain; beware: this is of no use for context that does not use kpse at all;