Thomas, all:

It appears that not all of the messages have been delivered in a timely manner
- I just received quite a few. I suppose that is why you reference the reply I
got (or didn't until just now). FYI, it appears to me that there are major
issues with the ntg.nl domain name server - it sometimes seems to go
non-responsive. I can fix my local machine for web access, but I cannot change
my mailer.

As I have already written, sorry for the caustic approach. I obviously have
offended you, and apologize.

Most of your points are well taken. Yes, I had looked at all the examples that
I could find, I had checked the many references, and could not find
documentation on most of the routines that current postings seem to indicate
should be used. With the further pointers I have received I will try again, and
post my results.

As for my "real" comment, snide question begs snide response. I accept that.
However, keep in mind that "real" to me doesn't mean "cool", or "full of
features", or "better", but rather means that it will work, day in and day out,
in a commercial environment. It means that it is tough, not brittle. It means
that I can train people to use it, and then have them use it reliably. My
comment is borne from the little that I can read about current status, my lack
of ability to find a roadmap or schedule, and the fact that over the course of
three solid days of probing, I have found several issues. It is not meant to
diminish the groups efforts, their goals, or the current status - for all I
know (and have been able to find) the group is small, has too much to do, and
acknowledges that there is a long way to go! I don't know (didn't know when I
asked), and couldn't find any statements one way or the other in my searching.
In particular, it has nothing to do with the amount of effort or time devoted
to the project. I will be the first to acknowledge that I am a leech,
benefiting (at this point) from the groups efforts while not having provided
anything in return.

Judging by other responses, the jury is out on "real" (at least of mkiv). I
will continue to evaluate. And, my 35 documents, hundreds of pages was not
meant to be multiplied! I have under 1,000 pages total.

Sorry for my typo (TeTeX).

Thanks to others for their responses. I will try them out tomorrow, and will be
sure to collect all my hundreds of attempts for the amusement of the group -
maybe in hopes of atoning for my "rant". :-)

-Bryant