Bryant Eastham wrote:

Thanks to others for their responses. I will try them out tomorrow, and will be sure to collect all my hundreds of attempts for the amusement of the group - maybe in hopes of atoning for my "rant". :-)

one of the problems of tex is that (potential) users often first seen the end products and working backwards from what one sees of not easy with tex based systems

another aspect is that it's easy to get some results but more complex demands need more complex solutions (hard coding each solution means even more need for manuals and finally not being able to locate an already given solution)

concerning the fact that you have to make a decision for a longer span of time, it's good to know that tex is normally quite stable and has survived other systems quite well, and that's unlikely to change; and we have no intentions to quit development (after all, development of mkiv is taking quite some of our resourceses and will do so for the next couple of years)