Alan,

for me it is actually very obvious an easy to understand the situation
about missing documentation. In my opinion there are a couple of
reasons for that:
- The gurus don't have time to write the documentation since they have
more important things to do, i.e. implementing features.
- Documentation (in a form of a manual) is of the most value to the
newbies, but they can't write a manual by themselves about something
they dont't know much about. So they ask for the documentation on the
mailing list, but they eventually find out that the up-to-date
documentation is missing and they start to use other sources of
information (wiki, mailing list, source code etc.). They learn slowly,
but at the end (if they persist long enough) they know enough that
they maybe could write a manual. However, they don't really need the
manual any more so they decide not to write one. (Paradoxical
situation, I know.)
- The key is in the motivation. If you want better documentation, you
have to figure out how to convince the gurus to write one.

Best regards,
Bostjan