On Jul 19, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> this is slightly OT, but maybe someone here has a helpful suggestion: since
> the announcement of Apple's iPad, tablets have become the rage. I am somewhat
> underwhelmed by this type of computer, but I see one area where it might be
> interesting to have one of those babies, and that's presentations. What I'm
> dreaming about: a tablet that would be able to show my manuscript (of course,
> a pdf produced with ConTeXt) on it's own screen and drive a presentation
> (again, pdf) on an external screen/digital projector. That way, I would need
> only one technical device, no paper etc. for my presentations. I even called
> Apple, but they said there is no app yet for doing this on an iPad. Do any of
> you have any insights: is there anything on the market yet that would make
> this possible? Is it at all feasible? Does it sound like a reasonable idea?

I wrote up my TUG 2003 presentation on a Fujitsu pen computer (unfortunately
Fujitsu has discontinued their slate lineup).

Available systems include:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

and

http://www.motioncomputing.com/

Tradeoffs in comparison to an iPad are cost (higher) and battery life (lower)
--- I get quite good battery life on my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 using a pair
of extended cell batteries (unfortunately, it's a couple of years old and the
bridge battery which should allow hot-swapping when suspended no longer
functions). A notable advantage is my 4121 has a transflective, indoor/outdoor
viewable display, so works quite well as mapreader when travelling.

I have a full TeX suite on it (w32tex since I'm running on a 4GB SSD), as well
as traditional graphic design programs like FreeHand and FontLab. Handwriting
recognition works well and allows me to not carry the added weight of a
keyboard. Using a stylus works well for me and is very expressive (I'll often
make .pdfs enabled for commenting on my Mac at work, then mark them up on my
Tablet PC).

William

--
William Adams