Otared, Hans, William, and all,

thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions; there's a lot of useful info in
this thread! In my personal workflow, I don't think I could actually use an
iPad or a similar device to produce content; so running TeX on it is not
something I find interesting. But I could imagine that it would be a useful
device for presenting stuff that has been prepared on a real computer. So I'll
wait a bit and see if interesting apps turn up!

Thanks all, and best

Thomas