Am 16.11.2010 um 22:12 schrieb Peter Davis:

> Thanks again!  Now I get output,  But text isn't getting composed inside
> these boxes.  It's just all output on one line.  I tried a couple of
> paragraphs, and just saw the the end of one and the beginning of the next one
> one line.
>
> Sorry if there's some obvious remedy for this.  I'm still new to ConTeXt.

Here is a complete working and tested example:

\definelayer[textbox][width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=textbox]

\def\starttextbox
   {\dosingleargument\dostarttextbox}

\def\dostarttextbox[#1]%

{\def\stoptextbox{\setlayerframed[textbox][width=6cm,align=normal,frame=off,#1]{\getbuffer[textbox]}}%
    \startbuffer[textbox][starttextbox][stoptextbox]}

\starttext

\starttextbox[x=2cm,y=4cm]
The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and
has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening
whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is
like the effect of an old-age patient who smokes many packs
of cigarettes per day – and we humans are the cigarettes.
\stoptextbox

\starttextbox[x=6cm,y=12cm,width=8cm]
Thus, I came to the conclusion that the designer of a new
system must not only be the implementer and first
large-scale user; the designer should also write the first
user manual.

The separation of any of these four components would have
hurt \TeX\ significantly. If I had not participated fully in
all these activities, literally hundreds of improvements
would never have been made, because I would never have
thought of them or perceived why they were important.

But a system cannot be successful if it is too strongly
influenced by a single person. Once the initial design is
complete and fairly robust, the real test begins as people
with many different viewpoints undertake their own
experiments.
\stoptextbox

\page[empty]

\starttextbox[x=4cm,y=6cm,width=8cm,align={right,nothyphenated},frame=on]
The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and
has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening
whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is
like the effect of an old-age patient who smokes many packs
of cigarettes per day – and we humans are the cigarettes.
\stoptextbox

\page[empty]

\stoptext

Wolfgang