Thomas and Aditya, thank you both for your replies! As Thomas already suspected it was a mere typo that \advance\entrycounter lied outside of the macro definition - sorry for the unnecessary confusion. I tried to compile Aditya's attempt (MKIV ver: 2010.12.31) but receive the following errors:

references      : unknown reference [][lr:b:line:0]
! Missing control sequence inserted.
<inserted text> \inaccessible

> I am not sure what you want to do,
My simple idea - being a total newbie to macro programming - was to create an automation of the following, in which the unique numbers in the label names would be inserted by a counter:

\starttext
\startlinenumbering
This is a sample %
        % wrapper macro would start here
        \startline[line:1]\pagereference[page:1]lemma\stopline[line:1]
        \footnote{\at[page:1] \inline[line:1] some comment}%
        % and end here
. \crlf
And this is another \startline[line:2]\pagereference[page:2]one\stopline[line:2]\footnote{\at[page:2] \inline[line:2] another comment}. \crlf
\stoplinenumbering
\bigskip
Endnotes
\placefootnotes
\stoptext

But probably my whole approach is completely out of the (Con)TeXt-Way of thinking… (May it be possible to collect the "endnotes" into various buffers and recurse over them at the end?)
Thanks for the hints,
Daniel

Am 03.01.11 23:23, schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Daniel Schopper wrote:

First of all thanks for the advice and sorry for my naïve posting!
Here's a test file for what I try to do. The problem is that the page-
and linenumbers printed by \placefootnotes all take the values of the
last reference.

\setupfootnotes[
location=text,
numberconversion=empty,
paragraph=,
]
\newcount\entrycounter
\entrycounter=0
\def\appentry#1#2{%
\startline[line:\the\entrycounter]%
\pagereference[page:\the\entrycounter]%
#1%
\stopline[line:\the\entrycounter]%
\footnote{{\bf \at[page:\the\entrycounter]}
\inline[line:\the\entrycounter] #1] #2}}%
\advance\entrycounter by1%
\starttext\startlinenumbering
This is a sample \appentry{paragraph}{om. h1}.\\
An this is another \appentry{one}{sentence}.
\stoplinenumbering
\bigskip
Endnotes
\placefootnotes
\stoptext

Finally: is the format of your apparatus (endnotes) a requirement?
Yes, unfortunately it is.

I am not sure what you want to do, but the following at least increments
the references (in MKIV)

\setupfootnotes
[
location=text,
numberconversion=empty,
paragraph=,
]

\newcount\entrycounter \entrycounter=0
\def\appentry#1#2%
{\expanded
{\startline[line:\the\entrycounter]%
\noexpand\pagereference[page:\the\entrycounter]%
#1%
\noexpand\stopline[line:\the\entrycounter]%
\noexpand\footnote{{\bf \at[page:\the\entrycounter]}
\inline[line:\the\entrycounter]
#1 #2}}%
\advance\entrycounter by 1\relax}

\starttext
\startlinenumbering
This is a sample \appentry{paragraph}{om. h1}. \crlf
An this is another \appentry{one}{sentence}.
\stoplinenumbering
\bigskip
Endnotes
\placefootnotes