Hi Yusuke

 > A question for Yusuke: what script name should we use?

It is a difficult question. In Chinese or Korean case,
what they have chosen? In Japanese, we need to prepare a
lot of characters for font set if they complete Adobe-Japan-1.5
or something. So, some font vendors publish the font sets
including only kana-region and latin/number-region (and
elementary school level kanjis). In this case, script=kana
might be ok, but if the font set has all the characters
of Adobe-Japan-1.5 region, then script=kana is too impolite.

Moreover, in pTeX world, we use 'kanji' for this kind, but
we need to rethink 'kanji' is most appreciate or not.

we use hangul for korean and hanzi for chinese so kanji sounds ok to me but in fact there a bit more to it, currently we have

\definescript[hangul]  [method=hangul]
\definescript[hanzi]   [method=hanzi]
\definescript[nihongo] [method=nihongo]

and these use default presets but as there can be be variants in spacing one can also define for instance

\definescript [myhangul] [hangul] [preset=mypreferences]

(not that there are such preferences defined now) and more key/values will be supported some day

so, shall we go for 'kanji' for the default setup? but 'japanese' could do as well as well because we can define synonyms