On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:

On 11/18/2012 07:53 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
1. Run mtxrun --generate as normal user followed by context --make; otherwise:

Won't run as "me" - same error messages. Ran as another normal user but it didn't do anything for "me". Same running via sudo

In general, it is a bad idea to run context tools using sudo. [1]

2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename these directories to something different and try again.

Done that several times -- no dice

Hmm... Are there any other tex related directories like $HOME/texmf-var or $HOME/texmf-cache? If so try moving those as well.

Otherwise, it could be because of some shell variable that you set (that is not set for a new user). Try starting with a clean .<shell>rc.

Aditya

[1] Traditional TeX tools provide a -sys version,(e.g., fmtutil and fmtutil-sys, updmap and updman-sys, etc.) that is to be run by the system administrator. Context tools do not provide any such version, so `sudo mtxrun ...` is equivalent to creating files for the root user. As such, for a multi-user installation, you should avoid running sudo mtxrun etc.