On 3/29/2013 5:36 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
···<date: 2013-03-29, Friday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···

On 3/29/2013 4:29 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
I just read that in the manual:

   Note that at the moment, each access to the font.fonts or call
   to font.getfont creates a lua table for the whole font. This
   process can be quite slow. In a later version of LuaTEX, this
   interface will change (it will start using userdata objects
   instead of actual tables).

even then it's of not much use for context as we have more data and
keep that data at the lua end so font.getfont has no benefits then

For my purpose the benefit is that I can access some info about
the font with the same code in all three formats.

ok, *.parameters probably carries the same info but for the rest you cannot assume that the context font handler (plus the derived generic one) will limit itself to that subset; in a similar fashion there is a difference between what context keeps track of and stores and the raw loaded otf font data

(in other words: cross macro package has a limited meaning)