I tried the latest beta; it fixes the problem I mentioned but breaks
something else:

\starttext

\setupalign[r2l]

\definefont[arabicfont][Arial*arabic at 20pt]

\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=default]
\hbox dir TRT{\arabicfont  (1984)}

\stoptext

If you have \hbox dir TLT, you get expected result. I am not sure if this
is the side effect of using \hbox dir TRT.