On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:22:39 -0700
Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <isha...@colostate.edu> wrote:

> > BTW, the quotation environment is not translated as blockquote and
> > paragraphs lack their <p> tags.
>
> Hmm, perhaps a showstopper.

Hans has often promoted the use of
\startparagraph
\stopparagraph
for the particular reason that rigorous structure can thus be correctly
exported.

I still have a hard time following this in practice, as I find that
paragraphs of text separated by blank lines to be more readable,
although I do try to use \startxxx\stopxxx forms as much as possible.
Example:
\startitemize
    \startitem item one \stopitem
    \startitem item two \stopitem
\stopitemize
(although can someone indicate how to replace \sym{} ?)

\startdigression
Curiously, I sometimes work with coauthors who only know Word as their
text editor. A work flow that we share is to edit ConTeXt source files
that are easily editable by them. This means paragraphs without any
line breaks, and the maximum use of UTF8 characters (no \alpha nor \int
for example). I have trained them to understand math versus text mode
and I place context commands on separate lines when possible.

Since they still have a hard time understanding the significance
(and the non-significance) of blank lines, I try to end all paragraphs
with \par. I imagine that \startparagraph ...\stopparagraph would be a
better practice in this workflow.
\stopdigression

The suggestion of using \definehighlight, etc. is good practice, too.

Alan

P.S. Mailers, certain text editors, and systems (MacOS for example)
often add hidden characters or change the encoding of files. Many text
editors hide these differences, so one must be careful. I understand,
though, that the problem was that of recursion with an problematic
choice of filename.