Hi Alan

What I am trying to achieve is the following (of which typesetting the author’s name is only a detail): setting up an environment that I can use for all papers and works that I have to write during my academic studies. With the basic layout I am almost done. The main remaining problem is to get the bibliographic information details in the publications list into the right order for every possible type of publication according to the standards demanded by my university department which differ from APA style.

You ask what I am looking for:

It would be great to be able at the same time to format every detail of information while defining said order.

Defining that order could be done by giving a kind of “maximum case” with the exact order of the desired variables and the punctuation and blanks between them for every particular type of publication cited. Out of that “maximum case” the underlying mechanism would ignore everything not needed in the particular case of a certain publication.

In the case of publication type “book” it could be something like:

\setpublicationstyleforlist [type:book] [{invertedauthor1}{/}{invertedauthor2}{/}{invertedauthor3}{et al.}{ (}{year}{): }{title}{. }{address}{: }{publisher}{.}]

The underlying mechanism would ignore author 2 and 3 if there was only one single author. In case of more than 3 authors given the “et al.” would be used after naming the first 3 authors.

That system would be perfect, if you could do do the desired typographic formatting directly inside that definition:

\setpublicationstyleforlist [type:book] [{\letterspace{\sc {invertedauthor}{/}{invertedauthor}{/}{invertedauthor}}{et al.}}{ (}{\oldstyle{year}}{): }{\it{title}}{. }{adress}{: }{publisher}{.}]

Accordingly for the inline references:

\setupcitestyle[{\letterspace{\sc{authorlastname}{ et al.}}}{ }{\oldstyle{year}}]

There should be a possibility to invoke a certain citation style you have defined from a text file so you would not have to type (respectively copy/paste) everything again every time.

The advantage of such a system would be that everybody could define exactly what he/she needs.

Would that be very difficult to implement?

Then there are the cases where the definition work has already be done in the form of special XML files: Over 7,000 CSL (= citation style language) files are listed for download at the citationstyles.org website. Pandoc seems to have a way to use CSL files to filter, order and format the information from BibTeX files. It would be great if you could do that directly inside ConTeXt as well.

\ConTeXtualGreetings :)

Jörg

PS: I have (as I wrote) defaulted oldstyle numbers for my whole environment, so I am not mixing old and normal style.