Thank You Alan and Hans for your efforts regarding my questions so far.

After I had played a while with the examples Hans had attached, I have
had a little success bei renaming copies of
~/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/publ-imp-apa.lua and
~/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/publ-imp-apa.mkiv to
publ-imp-daf.lua and publ-imp-daf.mkiv (DaF stands for “Deutsch als
Fremdsprache” = “German as a foreign language”, my subject of study) and
putting those renamed copies into the same folder as a test file that
should contain only in-text references and a publications list.

I have started to set up a “real world” BibTeXt example from the
examples in the style sheet we were given by the university. So far I
have different examples for “book” and “incollection”.

 Inside the two new configuration files I replaced every occurrence of
“apa” by “daf”. Then I edited publ-imp-daf.mkiv by trial and error. I
managed to change punctuation/delimiters in the publications list, but
did not fully succeed with the in-text reference. I understand now that
it is not trivial to set up a style as there are many decisions to be
taken. The problem I have regarding the publications list is that the
order I need differs in some ways from apa which means I have to split
some of the macros defined for apa. E.g. for “book” my order is

author(s), year, title, (optional: edition), adress, publisher,
(optional: series, volume)

and for incollection

author(s), year, title, editor(s), booktitle, publisher’s city adress,
publisher, (optional: series, volume), page(s)

I think I have yet to translate the other real world examples (mainly
electronic media) into BibTeX before I start to ask further questions
regarding the order in the publications list.

For now I have an important question regarding in-text references:

Is there a way to switch between the following citation modes?

I have to manage:

* normal reference in brackets: author <space> year, no comma: e.g.
“(Einstein 1904)”

* author is named in the text, only year in brackets: e.g. “As it has
been proven by Einstein (1904) …”

* if page numbers are to be given in the citation: colon after year,
followed directly (without space) by page number(s)/range: e.g.
“(Einstein 1904:351)” or “(Einstein 1904:251 f.)” or “(Einstein 1904:251
ff.)” or “(Einstein 1904:226–231)”.

(“f.” and “ff.” are the German abreviations for “et seq.” respectively
“et seqq.”)

Is it possible to switch between those three modes? If not it would be
great to implement that.

“\cite[extras={<page_numbers>}][<key>]” doesn’t seem to work anymore, so
I cannot put page numbers manually.

Greetings from Munich

Jörg

PS: Regarding the small caps from my original question: Those would be
nice, but they are not obligatory—it is just my idea to let the
references stick out more from the surrounding text and giving the whole
thing more the impression of sophisticated typesetting :)

For me it is much more important to get the information in the
publications list into the right order first.