On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 15:43:47 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Am 15.03.2015 um 19:19 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <isha...@colostate.edu>:

Hi Pablo,

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:24:47 -0600, Pablo Rodriguez <oi...@gmx.es> wrote:

Changing indenting to {yes, next} only the third
paragraph in the footnote is indented.

My guess is that the first "next" is already hardwired into the footnote mechanism. If you remove the "next" it should work. So this works here:

% \setupnotation[footnote][indenting={yes,big,next}]
\setupnotation[footnote][indenting={yes,big}]

When I had the "next" I got the same result as you.

I will show below the reason for the unexpected behaviour of the next keyword. What you should keep in mind is that context uses the same mechanism for enumerations, description and note
entries.

In older versions of the mechanism indentation was set before the title and content where placed but this produces unwanted results when you used the “next” keyword because the title itself was recognised as first paragraph (see page 1). After moving the indentation setting between the title and the content (see page 2) the “next” keyword produced the expected output.

The problem is now when make the title part of the first paragraph because the indentation is changed until we start the second paragraph and the “next” keyword applies now to the third
paragraph.

%%%% begin example
\setuppapersize[A5]

\starttext

% Page 1

\start \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]

\noindent{\bf Description Title}

\input knuth

\stop

\page

% Page 2

\start

\noindent{\bf Description Title}

\setupindenting[yes,medium,next]

\input knuth

\stop

\page

% Page 3

\start

\noindent{\bf Description Title}
\setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
\input knuth

\stop

\stoptext
%%%% end example

Thanks, Wolfgang -- or is it Hans? ;-) -- for this very instructive example!

I just made one change: \noindentation instead of \noindent (my understanding is that we're supposed to avoid very low-level indenting commands).

So the first paragraph of a footnote insertion contains an implicit title, or does the footnote numeral function as title? Anyway, very interesting! Thanks again and

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid