On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 05:58:04 -0600
Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <idris.ha...@colostate.edu> wrote:

> That said: You could typeset both books as distinct products or
> components within a single project file - see page 20 of cont-eni.pdf
> (I once did two books this way). Then you can do cross-references
> between both books. IIRC you can then take the TOC in one product or
> component and place it in the other. So in the English book you can
> place the Arabic TOC and vice versa.

This raises a related, more general question on how to handle
multilingual documents. The English first half, Arabic second half is
just one example. There are also bilingual texts with left and right
columns or facing even and odd pages. We also all know of manuals
containing a succession of different languages, sometimes sharing a
unique set of figures, sometimes repeating the figures (with differing
captions and labels).

It is not obvious how to maintain parallel texts containing identical
structure in multiple languages (in multiple files?). The
project/product/component mechanism can help somewhat. I also know that
Thomas had written a streams module to handle the synchronization of
texts. However, I am not so sure how to go about this in a real,
full-fledged case with a complicated text. Presently, I maintain
multiple files that I compare and edit side-by-side using a "diff" tool
such as meld (gtk) or kdiff3 (kde). I am sure that other users have
good or better solutions that they might want to indicate.

The question is how to create a structure that is both readable and
manageable?

Alan