Excellent. This seems to solve the problem completely. I even tried mixing
Arabic and English text in the RTL footnotes, switched on the
“alternative=serried” option, and defined my own custom note streams —
everything worked very well. The only thing that didn’t work is to mix, in the
same stream, footnotes that are LTR with footnotes that are RTL. But I did not
expect this to work, and I cannot think of a real world scenario in which such
footnotes would/should be mixed in the same stream.

Attached are both the .tex file and the PDF with a perfectly working example.
Many thanks to you both, Wolfgang and Hans. Hans, I assume we’ll know if the
patch eventually makes it into a beta?

Best,
Talal