On 10/17/2016 8:24 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
Pablo Rodriguez 17. Oktober 2016 um 20:07
[...]
If this isn’t a bug, what am I missing here?

The default sizes (12pt, 11pt etc.) have fixed values for x and xx, you
can see them in font-pre.mkiv:

\definebodyfontenvironment
  [\!!twelvepoint]
  [        \s!text=\!!twelvepoint,
         \s!script=\!!ninepoint,
   \s!scriptscript=\!!sevenpoint,
              \s!x=\!!tenpoint,
             \s!xx=\!!eightpoint,
            \v!big=\!!fourteenpointfour,
          \v!small=\!!tenpoint]

Wolfgang,

many thanks for your help. I was reading that file.

I know that a simple workaround would be to set the font size another
value, but why do x and xx fixed values and not a, b, c and d?

I mean (I’m only trying to understand), why are only those two values
(form the letter series) fixed?

because they are the text counterparts of the smaller math sizes (those are fixed too) ... think of \high and \low usage