On 4/12/2018 6:56 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:11:08 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

On 4/12/2018 5:54 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:09:58 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
tolerance in text/par alignment is just that: adding tolerance and
it is bound to align and it only kicks in in par building and
there is not always a par involved

Why does a float caption not build a paragraph? Does a \framed
sometimes not build a paragraph?

it's not framed ... framed is advanced in the sense that it can
analyze the build paragraph for the natural width

float captions look at the size oif the float plus some overshoot ...
unrelated mechanisms

Maybe, a float caption *should* be a frame?

it's not wise to change that now

And if it isn't, I am asking why would a caption not be treated as a
paragraph?

because tex then tends to make it the width of the whole text so now (by default we measure and decide to go hbox or vbox