On 7/25/2018 6:18 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 09:50:58 -0400
Rik Kabel <cont...@rik.users.panix.com> wrote:

On 7/25/2018 04:19, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
Am 2018-07-25 um 03:29 schrieb Rik Kabel
<cont...@rik.users.panix.com>:
I would ask for more stylistic or semantic tagging to be added to
the XML export. A good example is that of bibliographies, where
font styles carry significant semantic meaning (depending on the
standard used: italic for book titles, ibold or talic for volume
and issue numbers, and so on.) The xml output reflects none of
this.

I do not know whether one would want stylistic tagging (italic,
bold, ...) or semantic (booktitle, issue number). In either case,
they could be implemented as highlights or tagged elements, both
of which are currently carried through, and the user could then
apply the appropriate styling with css or other transformation
mechanisms.
Generally, you get stylistic tagging by using \definehighlight.
I replaced \em and \bf by \emph{} and \strong{} in my projects.

Didn’t try real bibliographies or xml input yet, but I guess you
can change the setup to use those.

\definehighlight does not (by default) nest. You can handle this to
some degree in css or xslt for XML exports, but it is not an
acceptable replacement for font switches with pdf output. And since
the syntax for highlights ( \highlight{text} ) differs from that for
font switches ( {\highlight text} ), it is not simply a matter of
different environments for each output format, although perhaps
\groupedcommand might help (I have not tried this).

But that is in some ways beside the point. A user should not have to
find and modify every instance in the source where such setups occur.
When exports or tagging are enabled, it would be good if this were
automatically done.

Do you know about

\savebtxdataset
   [default]
   [bibliography.xml]
   [alternative=xml,
    criterium=all]

You can thus save your bibliography data for use, rather than or in
addition to the rendered list.
I'll upload a beta with

- tagged publications
- embedded bib data in xml format and bibtex format

that should be enough for postprocessing magic. Of course we cannot catch cases where users mess around with specific setups which is no big deal as fo rexporting purposes one can use a simple standard style.