On 8/24/2018 3:48 PM, Vladimir Lomov wrote:

I don't know why you get "damaged" pdf file (in fact how do you know
that file is damaged?) but "TEXMFCNF" is special variable that I uses to
tweak TeX Live configuration for my latex workflow but context
(standalone and from TL) refuses to work if this variable is set (in
terminal I do 'unset' while in Emacs I set its value to 'nil' because
this is identical to "unset" it). The "TEXROOT" variable I found in
update script, I'm not sure if context requires it to work but IMHO, it
is harmless. And the last variable "TEXMFCACHE" I use to force context
to use ~/.cache for "luatex-cache" directory and not "pollute" my home
directory (without it the "luatex-cache" directory will be created in
$HOME directory).

context does listen to some of these variables but all lookups are done independent of kpse, basically you only need to set the path or run context / mtxrun with a full path, often from an editor

<pathtomtxrun>/mtxrun --script context ....

works ok