On 11/7/2020 6:45 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
On 11/7/20 6:18 PM, Sylvain Hubert wrote:
Thank you so much, Pablo. This is exactly what I needed.

Could you also tell me where you have learnt these features? I had been
searching for this for hours but \effect was still the best of what I've
got. Indeed, googling 'context+tex+boldened' or 'contextgarden+boldened'
results in nothing useful.

Well, I asked for that feature
(https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2018/091128.html), which
Ulrike Fischer requested a year before
(https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2017/090091.html).

And that year, BachoTeX included a presentation with the implemented
feature (also included in LMTX @
tex/texmf-context/doc/context/presentations/bachotex/2018/bachotex-2018-fonteffects.pdf
[also with sources]).

I was very interested on that particular feature, because the previous
fake bold feature was simple stretching.
FYI.

The literal based solution has been in context for a long time (already in mkii) .. the 'bachotex' one you refer to is different and although it does use pdf rendering primitives it is more about making sure that related dimensions etc are dealt with (more parameters and dimensions are involved in that).

Actually, in luatex slanting and expanding (which is also kind of bondeling) have been inherited from pdftex. Boldening text is one case, but dealing with math yet another and the luatex engine only has some additional font property (linewidth) but all the rest has do be dealt with in lua.

In lmtx the implementation of those specific font properties is a bit different. In the end it is not so much the linewidth that matters here (which is trivial) but the details which is why there are several parameters that one can tweak. For instance outlines are also done this way.

(But as with many features, I'm not so sure if they are really used. The main reason for supporting it is not in text, because one should choose a proper font, but for math where bold (+heavy alphabets) are not widely available but needed for section heads.)