At 09:31 AM 3/13/2003 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> the MAP-file is a nice place for the real font selection.

I agree with that. (Did you mean it this way?)

hm, i disagree -) unless you keep your map files with your specific styles / projects

> How should i tell "normal" users that their font-selection from the
> document is overwriten since some stupid and wrong decisions have
> been made in the past.

That is easy: You don't have the real helvetica? Then your dvi
processor (or pdfTeX) switches back to a substitution. This is the
way every printer works, that don't have the Linotype fonts built in.

but, subsitutions means ugly results, which means ugly docs, which gives tex a bad reputation

1) the user: he or she requests the typescript [times][..]. What does
   he want? URW? Or what? IMO I request Times-Roman, and not a
   substitue.

This is a real tricky area, there are so many times out that if you are not specific and embed them (in graphics, docs, etc) you end up in troubles. We have a few thousand Corel Draw files, mae on a win95 machine long ago, and cannot even open them because the font names changed (distiller 2 accepted the eps, distiller 5 doesn't)

The way with current ConTeXt it is now: I ask for Helvetica and get
Nimbus Sans. There is no way around this.

unless you map the names alternatively, which you will do for us; just prepare the lot and we can discuss it in bremen

{if tex was less powerfull with math/fonts, live would be so much more easy]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | [EMAIL PROTECTED]