On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 08:04 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

That means, that you should have fonts
named in a cryptic way "pplr8r.tfm" or such. ConTeXt on the other hand
looks for fontnames like "8r-uplr8a.tfm". Almost no one has a font
named like this on their system.

This kind of thing is just silly. The above named file is no more clearly named than the psnfss version, so what's the point?

It is clearer: the first bit gives the encoding and the latter bit is the
name of the file containign the glyphs (uplr8a.pfb).

The "8r" at the end of the psnfss version also gives the encoding, and I don't really think there's a need to have the precise pfb name in the tfm file name. That's not to say there aren't problems with psnfss, just that in this context those problems aren't important.

Since texfont uses afm2tfm directly (and the tfm files that come with psnfss
are hand tuned) I don't think that using texfont blindly is a very good idea.
It would be better to use the existing tfm files.

Right. Patrick has a file that maps the ConTeXt names to the pfsnss names, which solves the problem.

Bruce