Peter,

> On 12 Feb 2018, at 22:06, Peter Shute <psh...@nuw.org.au> wrote:
>
> Thanks for that. I've also discovered I can separate out the netflow data
> coming from each office's router using dynamic network interfaces. I followed
> the instructions provided at https://github.com/ntop/ntopng/issues/1444 to
> enable Probe IP disaggregation criterion, and to add %EXPORTER_IPV4_ADDRESS
> to the template.  I assume this does the same thing as host pooling, assuming
> one wants to pool every subnet on each router?

Correct

> I have this running now, so I can't try creating host pools unless I undo
> those changes.
>
> One thing I've noticed with dynamic interfaces is that if I select one, then
> click on the chart icon, the traffic peaks seem way too  high. Eg 85Mbps when
> we only have a 14Mbps link.

Peaks you are seeing are very likely due to the quantized nature of flows. Your
netflow exporters do periodic exports of active flows -- say every 2 minutes --
so the ntopng/nProbe pair is not able to know what happened during the 2
minutes, it just receives the exported flow at the end of the period. This
translates into a potentially high volume of traffic in a very short period
that determines the peak. However, total values over time must be consistent.

> If I click on Hosts/Networks, and select one of the local subnets, it seems
> ok. Is there something wrong with that combined chart?

Interfaces charts are populated with a data point every second. Hosts/networks
every 5 minutes and thus peaks get smoothed because total data is averaged over
a much wider time range.

> Is it possible to name the dynamic network interfaces so I don't have to keep
> a list of all the routers' ip addresses?

Yes, rename it as if it was a normal interface.

Simone