Thakn's Burton,

I'll Try first whit the binary rpm of version 2.2c, and if doesn't work I'll try to install the source rpm and build the binary from source like you said.
I think you will heard from me soon.

Again, Thank's a lot.

- Nando -

Burton M. Strauss III wrote:
Y'all need to do some learning about rpms, so here's a brief course.

RPMs come in two 'flavors', source and binary.

You normally grab the binary (it will be named .i386.rpm or .i486.rpm, etc.)
and install that and away you go.

You download and install the SOURCE rpm (.src.rpm) if you want or need the
source code, for example to build a package with different compile time
options.

Most of the time, a binary .rpm for one version of RedHat will work on other
versions, but that's not always true, especially if the package is dependent
upon things that change from release to release, such as glibc.  It will
usually work UP, not down, that is a dependency on libpng >= 1.2.1 will be
satisfied on a RedHat system that has 1.2.4 installed, but not one that only
has 1.0.14 ...  simple arithmetic, natch.

If the binary rpm fails to install, there are two options.

1. INSTALL the SOURCE rpm and build the binary from source.  In the case of
ntop, that's the instructions in BUILD-ntop.txt.

2. Use the rebuild

The problem with rebuilding is that often the .spec file, which controls the
build has implicit dependencies upon the system layout, version, etc..
That's what you're hitting, the location of the libpcap files seems to have
been shifted and the .spec file has the wrong --with commands in it's
./configure.  Since there's no way to fix it other than editing the spec
file, for an individual user it's just more work than necessary.   That's
why rebuild is always my LAST choice.

-----Burton