Greetings!

We have four "work from home" users who connect to our applications through an
SSL-VPN.  After well over a year of successful operation, things have broken
the past couple of weeks...

The devices are all Juniper SA- series SSL-VPN, and users load and run the
"Network Connect" resource.  (This makes the remote user's desktop to be
treated as if it is a part of our LAN.)

We have two hardware versions - SA-2000 in Illinois and SA-4500 in New York.

We have two firmware versions - 6.4 in NYC and on one unit in IL; 7.1 on one
unit in IL.

The users are in 4 geographic areas - Pittsburgh, PA; Chicago, IL; St. Louis,
MO; and central Iowa.

Our users connect, load their applications, and begin working as usual (albeit
recently the initial access to the web page login has been timing out).  Then
frequently, after 5-10 minutes of work, the connection to their server for
applications (that is, the VoIP controller for their local telephone client;
connection to the databases for their local medical records application, etc)
will break.

This is regardless of logging into the IL-6.4 appliance, the IL-7.1 appliance,
or the NYC-6.4 appliance.

Juniper has been collecting logs from both the SSL-VPN devices and the user's
client logs, and they are finding nothing conclusive.  Furthermore, when a
"disconnected" client runs a tracert job to the VoIP or database service, the
first hop is to the SSL-VPN, then on to the destination server.  Yet their
connection in the application breaks.

The only thing we can figure which has changed the past couple of weeks is MS
patching or perhaps GFI VIPRE definitions.  (If VIPRE were breaking things,
then our admins should be getting notices about that, and they are not.)

So, has anybody (else) heard reports of SSL-VPN functions not working
consistently after the recent set of MS patches (from May, 2012)?
--
Richard D. McClary
Jr Infrastructure Architect, Information Technology Group

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and
is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.