From: Steve Kradel [mailto:skra...@zetetic.net]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 10:32 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Time sync

How much time skew are we talking about here?  While MSFT will only support
w32tm accuracy within 1-2 seconds, in practice I have found it to be stable
within a tenth of a second or less, and would not feel compelled to look into
very-high-accuracy NTP clients for regular non-scientific applications.  Do you
have separate systems recording the timestamps of an incoming call and the
creation of a linked medical record, or are things unreliable even on a single
host?

--Steve

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Richard McClary <richard.mccl...@aspca.org>
wrote:
> Greetings!
>

> I'm sure I and many others have asked this (but are still stumped).
> Ken S's reply yesterday pointing to ultimately a chain of TechNet
> articles has shed some light and will start us digging.
>

> Microsoft admits W32Time is sloppy
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939322)
> - mainly meant to make Kerberos v5 work.
>

> Our issue is, W32Time lets things drift enough for weird things to
> occur in our medical records.
>

> We have a veterinary toxicology consulting hotline.  Because things
> get out of sync a bit, we frequently have medical records opening
> before a client's telephone call is received.
>

> The article referenced above essentially says to go find an
> alternative to W32Time.  NIST has gathered a list of time sync
> software.  QUESTION:  has anyone on the list used (and would
> recommend) anything on that list to fix the "record created prior to the
> call" situation?
> (http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/softwarelist.cfm)
>

> Thank you...
>
> --
>
> richard
>

> The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto,
> is from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(r)
> (ASPCA(r)) and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein
> and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If
> you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
> notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the
> contents of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
> immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
> original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

> <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~
>
> ---
> To manage subscriptions click here:

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and