The "linear" is the original 32 bit int linear that was originally available
from the SDK. This does has some scale to get the output values between 0 and 1
rather than lots of highlights getting clamped at 1 and losing all the detail.
As far as I know the values do increment linearly, ie there is no gamma/log
curve distributing them unevenly, but they don't increase at a rate that puts
mid gray at 0.18, as they do in the half-float linear mode where it's possible
to represent numbers greater than 1.0 making this scaling unnecessary. The half
float linear mode was added later and we now use that as the default since it
gives a linear that matches what most people seem to expect linear to be
nowadays.

You'll notice that taking, say, rec709 straight from the Read by setting that
as the r3d gamma curve, and taking half float linear and applying rec709
separately won't look the same because stuff in the middle has gone through
different paths to become "linear" in the middle. However, setting the Read to
the old 32 bit linear and applying rec709 will match the rec709 gamma output.

So this is something you want to watch out for if you've got some shots that
have gone through redcinex straight to, say, rec709, and some that have gone
through comp as half float linear and then got rec709 applied in the Write from
Nuke. I haven't look at recent versions of redcinex so I can't say if the
rec709 output is still the equivalent of "old" linear with rec709 applied or
half float linear with rec709 applied.

Nothing's ever easy, is it? =)

Matt