1.0 is half float/float  even if not clamped ;)

for Ron's question (if I read it right)

Half float or 16 bit float is a less accurate version of 32 bit float.
AFAIK The float being the floating point part of the number. you dont save
123.45678 you save 12345678 with a bit(?) for the position of the floating
point.
The difference between 16bit (half float) and 32 bit (float) is that with 16bit
the length of that number gets truncated at a lesser degree of accuracy
compared to 32bit.
You could have 10 or 8bit float if you wanted, just not much point for what we
do.Similarly you could have 32bit non-float if you really wanted, but again no
point in our game afaic - as far as I care ;)
Linear is linear, but again you could put any gamma or other curve in there if
you wanted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-precision_floating-point_format

Howard