Yeah, sorry..   i wasn't very clear.

We're still cleaning the text of the .nk script via regex, but like you describe, that's happening from a python function in nuke once the script is open.  An addOnScriptLoad() callback checks the script's channels as I'd described previously and if any suspect channels are discovered, at that point the user is alerted and given the choice whether they want to clean the script or not.  If they choose to, a backup copy of the script is made and then the .nk text is cleaned and nuke immediately exits.

I'm interested in how you're launching a new nuke instance from another process.  Re-opening the cleaned script automatically would definitely be preferable to just having nuke quit like we're doing now.

The main downside I'm curious about with searching for specific channels as you're doing is having to maintain a list of 'baddies' to search for.

erik

John RA Benson wrote:
The big headache is, however, that pesky "add_layers" with bad channels will still be stuck in the script. At least with 6.2, the only way to remove the layer was with a text editor, which is why I favored the regex approach outside of nuke.  In practice, we run a version of this from nuke to clean up a lot of issues. Hitting the button does a few things with nuke to fix internal stuff, but then saves the script and runs this solely as a text operation on the file. The open (and infected) script is then closed and the cleaned up script is relaunched (but as a separate process - just using nuke.scriptOpen(...) ends up just re-introducing the bad layers into the already open session. Despite 'closing' it, the bad layers and channels are still in memory).

http://www.nukepedia.com/python/regular-expressions-re-module-to-fix-broken-scripts/#findChannels covers using the blacklisted layers and finding the channels inside them. Since we use '-?' (find a match 0 or 1 times) as a prefix to the regex _expression_ for the channel we're looking for (based on the bad layer's channels), we find both 'rgb.red' and '-rgb.red'.

A whitelist of channels to keep is a good idea, but so far hasn't been necessary. I guess in our case, when a bad channel has been introduced, it hasn't been carrying a good channel with it in the add_layers function.

Cheers
JRAB

Erik Winquist wrote:

We've been wrestling with this like many others.

Instead of searching for specific layers/channels in specific configurations, I've instead opted to compare what channels Nuke says a script contains:

nuke.channels()

vs. what channels all of the script's nodes report they're using:

allnodes = nuke.allNodes(recurseGroups=True)
allchans = []
for n in nuke.allNodes():
    for c in n.channels():
        allchans.append(c)

scriptchans = set(nuke.channels())
usedchans = set(allchans)
notused = scriptchans - usedchans

In the above example, 'notused' is a python set of any channels that aren't actually used by the script.

This, combined with a whitelist of channels that should always be ignored because they're OK (like depth.Z) and a blacklist of channels that should always be removed, because they cause damage (like "rgb.red") pretty much catches anything that could come up now, or in the future.

The one place I've noticed that this doesn't work is when a node has one of said channels specified in the alpha slot but the alpha slot isn't turned on for that node.   This instance shows up in the .nk script as "-rgb.red".  If you remove the "add_layer .." from the .nk script and don't remove all references to that channel, Nuke will not load anything beyond that line in the .nk script and you'll have an incomplete script in the DAG.

erik

John RA Benson wrote:
This thread finally prompted me to do some sharing -

I've fixed a lot of bad layers in scripts with some simple python (well, with regular expressions, which are simple but can be confusing). Some of these scripts were recovered from dead because of broken clones or empty {}. The usual...

http://www.nukepedia.com/python/regular-expressions-re-module-to-fix-broken-scripts/

The tips not only clean up dummy layers like redguard - whatever you need to clean up - but also address some of the other issues that bugger scripts, like bad clones and the weird {} issue.

Since it's just working on text, the script works on gizmos (often the source of mystery layers) that might have junk in them as well as nuke scripts that have been infected.

Flavor to taste and enjoy -
jrab

Frank Rueter wrote:
Yeah, this is the single most annoying/dangerous bug in Nuke. I've encountered this numerous times over the years (since D2Software days actually). It would be really nice to have some sort of collision handling if anything threatens to interfere with the default channel sets.

Have you done a text search for the fully qualified channel names ("redguard.whatever") in all of the files in Nuke's plugin path?