>>reacting to what they're seeing than directing what they would like to see
Amen to that and everything else in your post. I could list a few names of "visionary" directors here :-D

It is really good to see so many experiences people chime in here with pretty much the same experience/opinion.
As most of you will know, all of this has been discusses a lot in the past year through the VES, VFX TownHall and other formal and informal groups.

The more we can have those sort of discussions in public places, the more we will help raise awareness for all of the problems mentioned in this thread, and awareness is always the first step to finding solutions.

Great thread, keep it coming!
frank