Thanks everybody for chiming in here. Hopefully it will help narrow down the culprit. One thing I forgot to mention: I am working with 4k plates at the moment (log dpx files).
Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Been working on a slightly older iMaci the last few days and haven't seen this problem once - though Nuke8 does seem less stable than it's predecessors overall.

frank