On Jan 29, 2008 5:48 PM, Travis E. Oliphant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joris De Ridder wrote:

> >> I'm fine with a median API change for 1.1.
> >>
> >> We can add the axis keyword for 1.0.5 as long as the default stays the
> >> same.  We can also add the other keywords as well if appropriate
> >> defaults can be determined.
> >>

> > Do you mean creating a median(a, axis=0) for 1.0.5, and changing it to
> > median(a,axis=None) for 1.1? (Modulo other keywords).
> >

> Yes.   That is the approach I prefer.

I'm all for fixing this, but the prospect of going straight from  one
default to another makes me nervous. Is there is any prospect we could spit
out a warning when an axis is not specified for median starting in 1.05 up
till 1.1. It could even be a PendingDeprecationWarning, which by default
doesn't print anything I believe, but would allow people to check there code
for potential failure points.

--
.  __
.   |-\