We often need to generate more than one such sample from an array, e.g.
for permutation tests. If we shuffle an array x of size N and use x[:M] as
a random sample "without replacement", we just need to put them back
randomly to get the next sample (cf. Fisher-Yates shuffle). That way we
get O(M) amortized complexity for each sample of size M. Only the first
sample will have complexity O(N).

Sturla