I too have to agree with Andreas.  I have been using Numpy for years in my
work, but am not versed in C so I don't even understand what numpy is doing
under the hood.  I too would only be able to contribute to the code at the
python level, or as Andreas said, at improving SciPy packages and other
Numpy-based projects.

One area that you may be able to get more help from the general user base
is with publicity, tutorials and word-of-mouth.  I had recently shown Numpy
to a friend who was versed in matlab, and he was really impressed because
Numpy is easily incorporated into more general Python scripts.  I've worked
a lot with the Enthought Tool Suite and shown off some of that to my
colleagues.  They are impressed at the streamlined code-to-visuals process
although I don't think they even realize that Numpy is responsible for all
the numerics in the program.  To this end, I think outreach would be
helpful in recruiting new programmers.  Once they understand that Numpy
does a lot at the C-level and that it is not strictly a Python feature,
they may realize its something that they can contribute to.