On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Travis Oliphant <tra...@continuum.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you agree that Numpy has not been very successful in recruiting and
>>> maintaining new developers compared to its large user-base?
>>>
>>> Compared to - say - Sympy?
>>>
>>> Why do you think this is?
>>
>> I think it's mostly because it's infrastructure that is a means to an end.
>> I certainly wasn't excited to have to work on NumPy originally, when my main
>> interest was SciPy.    I've come to love the interesting plateau that NumPy
>> lives on.    But, I think it mostly does the job it is supposed to do.
>> The fact that it is in C is also not very sexy.   It is also rather
>> complicated with a lot of inter-related parts.
>>
>> I think NumPy could do much, much more --- but getting there is going to be
>> a challenge of execution and education.
>>
>> You can get to know the code base.  It just takes some time and patience.
>> You also have to be comfortable with compilers and building software just to
>> tweak the code.
>>

>>> Would you consider asking that question directly on list and asking
>>> for the most honest possible answers?
>>
>> I'm always interested in honest answers and welcome any sincere perspective.
>
> Of course, there are potential explanations:
>
> 1) Numpy is too low-level for most people
> 2) The C code is too complicated
> 3) It's fine already, more or less
>
> are some obvious ones. I would say there are the easy answers. But of
> course, the easy answer may not be the right answer. It may not be
> easy to get right answer [1].   As you can see from Alan Isaac's reply
> on this thread, even asking the question can be taken as being in bad
> faith.  In that situation, I think you'll find it hard to get sincere
> replies.

I don't see why this shouldn't be the sincere replies, I think these
easy answers are also the right answer for most people.

maybe I would add
4) writing code for a few hundred thousand users is a big
responsibility and a bit scary

Except for a few "core" c developers, most contributors contribute to
parts of numpy, best example Pierre and masked arrays, or specific
functions. Life goes on for most developers in the application areas,
I guess. For example I'm very glad about the time that Pauli is
spending on scipy.

numpy is "great" [1]

Josef

> Best,