I like to think of it as a framework. Building blocks
to build what you ultimately need.

If your after the one stop shop, plug in play, no
development necessary then perhaps some other
commercial systems may be your best bet.

Mailing list is very active, most people get responses
fairly quickly. If the question is ignored its often
because it's already answered.

To really understand nutch you need to understand
lucene, hadoop and search in general and the wiki of
both lucene and nutch is a great read.

If all of this is above ones head or not within your
time frame to bother with then like i said, there are
other products out there.

Other then that i'm happily running nutch, looking
forward to a billion+ page index and enjoying picking
the brains of the talent pool we have here.

Happy nutcher

-byron
http://www.mozdex.com