On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Linda Dunbar <linda.dun...@huawei.com>
wrote:

> I agree with Tom & David that this draft only describes the solutions to
address the issues associated with hosts' (VMs') addresses floating across
multiple NVEs or PODs, but not cover the state aspects (on middleware
boxes) of the VM mobility.

> What do people think of "NVO3 Address Mobility Scheme"?

While it's a better title, I think my comment was meant to be more general.
VMs (and hypervisors) are references to specific mechanisms of server
virtualization, but not the only mechanisms that can be deployed (e.g.
container virtualization is not normally a VM and does not have an explicit
hypervisor). VM is really just one use case of network virtualization and
not in itself a networking term, so I think that mechanisms or protocols
for network virtualization really should be described without reference to
VMs unless there really is something VM specific about that.

Tom

> Anyone has better suggestions?
>

> Thank, Linda

draft-merged-nvo3-vm-mobility-scheme-00.txt

>> I would suggest that "Address mobility scheme" might be a better
>> title. VM migration is one instance of when we need address mobility,
>> but we'll need this in with container migration or when we just want
>> to move an virtual address between servers.
>
> I agree, and I think Larry pointed this out earlier.
>
>> Also, w.r.t. VM or
>> container migration, addresses are not the only networking state we
>> need to consider, we need consider how to move connection state (e.g.
>> open TCP connections bond to the address being moved)-- this seems to
>> be out of scope for this draft.
>
> OTOH, I would caution about getting too involved in this as both ends of
the spectrum of connection state preservation are reasonable and used in
practice:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-merged-nvo3-vm-mobility-