I have been trying to avoid jumping in on this but feel I must. As a
birder, and photographer, I also find the vilifying of bird photographers a
disturbing and personally offensive trend. There is no doubt that some
photographers do things that are not within ethical bounds. In fact I was there
 at
Breezy yesterday--at the same time as Phil Jeffrey--and saw that first
offending photographer flush the bird from the dunes. And in fact, one of my
party chastised the guy. I was on the same dune as Phil (although I didn't
know it at the time!) and I could see immediately that I was not going to get
any decent shot of this bird. Oh well--I was resigned. (As it turned  out,
we later walked down around the jetty and lo and behold, one owl was  right
on the top of the dune in front of me, so in the end I did get a  decent
shot, without having to enter the dunes or encroach on the bird.  But now, I
would be reluctant to post it for fear of being  questioned/harassed about it.
This is a sorry state of affairs.)

But I have also seen birders doing equally inappropriate things--tromping
through undergrowth to flush a bird, trespassing on private property, using
tapes inappropriately, etc etc. There are jerks in every group. What we
need to  focus is on educating these people--photographers and birders
alike--on  appropriate, ethical behavior around owls and other birds.

What bothers me is that witholding owl sightings because of this knee-jerk
reaction to photographers punishes the many ethically-abiding
photographers, and  birders, and especially neophytes. How many have seen their
life owls
because of  this list, and others like it? How many this season have seen
their life Snowy  Owl, and been forever changed by their magnificence? Just
yesterday at Breezy we  showed the owl to several beginning birders--and
non-birders--through our scope,  and they were awed. I doubt those birders
would
have been there if not for the  lists.

Without posting, only the elite birders--those "in the know" or in that
"inner circle" of NY birders--get the opportunity to see these  fantastic
birds. And that would be a great loss.

Janet  Zinn
Brooklyn, NY
_www.janetzinnphotography.com_ (http://www.janetzinnphotography.com/)

In a message dated 2/6/2012 8:03:16 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,