In Central America, we have seen wild caracaras frequent hotel/lodge grounds
(one liked to stroll around the swimming pool where we stayed in 2013) and
other areas of human habitation (as is the case with many scavenger birds).  As
they are opportunistic birds that aren't particularly shy around people, it
wouldn't surprise me to see them around residential areas especially when in
such an unfamiliar range and climate.