To: nysbirds-l@cornell.edu
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Seaford Crested Caracara Photos
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:09:53 -0500

I believe they are increasing in Florida. This narrative comes from Florida
Bird Species: An Annotated List by William B. Robertson. Jr. and Glen E.
Woolfenden (1992): “Resident on central Florida ranchland, prairies, and
savannas… centered in the eight contiguous counties just west and north of Lake
Okeechobee. Once somewhat more widely distributed south and west of the Lake
and also ranged north in the St. John’s River marshes to Volusia co. Still
occasionally reported far outside known breeding range, north to Nassau co. ,
west in the panhandle to Bay co., and south to the Keys. These stragglers are
usually lone individuals, and some were known to have escaped from captivity.”
The Nassau in the description is north of Jacksonville, bordering Georgia. But
how ironic to see that in print. Based on that, it seems that the Florida birds
have been known to have a propensity to wander, although this does not
reference wanderings beyond Florida. I know that these days, they are once
again resident south of the Lake. I’ve seen them within a couple of miles of
Alligator Alley. Last winter, I was meeting up with a group at a wetlands area
in Hendry co. When I arrived, I had to apologize for being a little late. I
explained myself by saying “There was a pair of Caracaras feeding on the
shoulder of the road, so I stopped for a while to photograph them. It’s funny,
but I never have to look for Caracaras anymore. I just get them on my way to
places”. The reply I got was “Well, they never used to be there”. So, put two
and two together.  Steve Walter From: bounce-118757363-8873...@list.cornell.edu