I believe they are increasing in Florida.

This narrative comes from Florida Bird Species: An Annotated List by William
B. Robertson. Jr. and Glen E. Woolfenden (1992): "Resident on central
Florida ranchland, prairies, and savannas. centered in the eight contiguous
counties just west and north of Lake Okeechobee. Once somewhat more widely
distributed south and west of the Lake and also ranged north in the St.
John's River marshes to Volusia co. Still occasionally reported far outside
known breeding range, north to Nassau co. , west in the panhandle to Bay
co., and south to the Keys. These stragglers are usually lone individuals,
and some were known to have escaped from captivity."

The Nassau in the description is north of Jacksonville, bordering Georgia.
But how ironic to see that in print. Based on that, it seems that the
Florida birds have been known to have a propensity to wander, although this
does not reference wanderings beyond Florida.

I know that these days, they are once again resident south of the Lake. I've
seen them within a couple of miles of Alligator Alley. Last winter, I was
meeting up with a group at a wetlands area in Hendry co. When I arrived, I
had to apologize for being a little late. I explained myself by saying
"There was a pair of Caracaras feeding on the shoulder of the road, so I
stopped for a while to photograph them. It's funny, but I never have to look
for Caracaras anymore. I just get them on my way to places". The reply I got
was "Well, they never used to be there".

So, put two and two together.

Steve Walter