From: bounce-122700949-26736...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-122700949-26736...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Andrew Baksh
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:03 AM
To: nysbirds-l <nysbirds-l@cornell.edu>
Cc: Nyc ebirds <ebirds...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] East Pond ( & Breezy Point Queens Co...

Yesterday morning, I hiked the East Pond doing a complete shorebird survey.
Overall, the number of shorebirds were down. Especially the Yellowlegs and
Short-billed Dowitchers.

12 Stilt Sandpipers were mostly up around the north end along with my first
observation of Semipalmated Plovers on the pond for the season. American
Oystercatchers continue to show up on the pond in good numbers. 27 were loafing
on the Raunt before taking off as I made my way north.

The duckage continue to hold a few Summer surprises. Green-winged Teal,
American Wigeon and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER were all observed.

Two continuing BONAPARTE’s GULLS were also seen comfortably feeding on the pond
edges.

On Sunday 7-15) at Breezy Point the highlights were two storm driven WHIMBRELS
(put down in the rain & left just as the rain paused), two 2CY Lesser
Black-backed Gulls, 1 Banded Adult Herring Gull and two BANK SWALLOWS.

Also notable was a juvenile Ring-billed Gull (RBGU). I have not seen too many
juvenile RBGU at Breezy so that was a treat. This one I would deem to be the
brown-type. Where the general appearance is of a brown chocolate color showing
the distinctive feature of large scapulars with solidly dark centers.

About 1,000 Sanderlings dotted the shoreline along with Semipalmated
Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers and Semipalmated Plovers. Some Piping Plovers were
also active with a few juveniles indicating successful nesting.

A decent number of Terns (few hundred) were offshore but nothing outside of the
expected Common, Forster’s and Leasts in various age classes.

A link to Phone scoped images of the Lesser Black-backed Gulls.
https://twitter.com/birdingdude/status/1019234656896634880?s=21

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu<http://refspace.com/quotes/Sun_Tzu>  The Art of
War<http://refspace.com/quotes/The_Art_of_War>

(\__/)
(= '.'=)
(") _ (")
Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device!

Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com<http://www.birdingdude.blogspot.com>
Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>