A few weeks ago I asked here for directions about where to actually go in the
Black Dirt region.  One can find many references to birding there online, and
there are some ebird spots, but there are many dirt or gravel roads and many
seem to be on private property, and many are obviously not driveable once you
see them.  So what is an out-of-the-area birder supposed to do?

I thank Felipe Pimentel who provided directions to the Pine Island Turf farm.
Yesterday I went exploring.  The attached map is the result.  Enter the area at
Skinner Lane, 41.320541, -74.435339.  My route is the narrow black line.  I
went up Skinner Lane to the northwest until it meets Iris Road, which is called
Celery Avenue on my Iphone map app.  Then I turned left and follow Iris a long
time.  It is all an excellent gravel road.  I was surprised to see a bridge
over the Wallkill River at 41.325083, -74.466914.  It is certainly driveable.
The maps are wrong in that there is no connection between Iris and Transport at
41.300798, -74.472080.
As for birds, there were very few.  But in a few months -- let's hope.

Bob LewisSleepy Hollow NY